Sunday, August 18, 2013

Don't Be Afraid to Admit You're Brave

Today at primary activity day I attended a class with my girls called "Mirror Mirror." The object was for the girls to recognize their inner and outer beauty. 

During the last few minutes of the class , all the girls lined up and took turns standing in front of the table of mirrors. 
The girl in front of the mirrors would say something on the outside that made her beautiful and then something on the inside.

As this was going down, I felt very strongly that I needed to get in that line and do the exercise. So I did.

I looked in those mirrors and commented  about my hair. Then for my inner quality I said, "I am brave."

I was a little shocked about that. Ralph started to get sassy:
"You're not brave! We both know that! For twenty years you've been quitting things, running away from your problems and behaving like the silly, weak girl that you are. You are not brave.

Guess what y'all?

Ralph is a BIG FAT LIAR!!!!!

Dealing with a panic disorder is not an easy feat. To be frank, it is downright terrifying! But I haven't quit. I've looked fear, doubt, discouragement, anxiety, panic, depression and so many other things, square in the face. I fight and I conquer. Every single day is a battle.

But if I've learned anything on this journey, it's  this: 

I'm worth fighting for.

Funny enough, it was a battle today to be openly honest and kind to myself. Whenever I give myself compliments, it's about "soft things." (i.e. being kind, offering service etc) 

So when I consciously decided today to acknowledge my bravery, I got a little bit stronger.

You are brave. You are facing your challenges. Don't be afraid of acknowledging your strength and courage. 

Say it aloud.
Believe it.
Embrace it.
Live it.

1 comment: