Thursday, June 20, 2013

Let's Start at the Very Beginning, a Very Good Place to Start

Image from Here

Once Upon a Time, I was serving in the Massachusetts Boston Mission, 
aka The Greatest Mission In The Church. 
I love everything about the mission. 
My first transfer was a dream, my trainer, Sister "Mama" Rivera was stupendous, taught me so much and helped me love mission life. Near the end of it, my appetite starts to wane and that's kind of odd, but I don't think too much of it.
Second transfer comes, I'm still lovin' life. I get the daunting task of training a new missionary! Her name is Sister Johnson and she becomes my best friend. It's hard, stressful, we cry a lot, but we make it work.
Then on Easter Eve, everything changes. My world is turned upside down. 
SJ and I were  at the New Haven Stake Center for the Young Women broadcast. I've finished eating dinner and am sitting at the table talking to SJ and one of the YW. All of a sudden, I don't feel like me. I'm lightheaded, confused, breathing funny...lost. SJ convinces me to go to the bathroom with her. I look in the mirror and don't recognize my face. I begin to hyperventilate. My face gets hot. Then pale. We go back to the gym and tell the sister that invited us to the event that we're leaving. She senses that things are not well and walks us out to the foyer. I lay on the couch and continue to feel like I never have before. They find a nurse, when I open my eyes, her face is by mine and I burst into tears. She helps me calm down and I receive a priesthood blessing. Then SJ drives us the half hour home. Since I was the Designated Driver for the companionship, it was SJ's first time driving in Connecticut and following a GPS. It was stressful but Heavenly Father got us home safely, BLESS HIM. 
Sister Johnson got me to bed, I continued to hyperventilate and she sang me to sleep. The next morning I awoke, DETERMINED to go to church. It was EASTER SUNDAY for crying out loud!!! We had an investigator coming! SJ was supposed to give a prayer! But I felt like I'd been run over by a truck, and an elephant. So I slept. For a long time.

From that day forward, the mission was very different for me: 
I'd have at least one panic attack every day; hyperventilating and couldn't get it together until SJ called me back to reality. 
Some days I couldn't get out of bed. 
Sometimes I'd burst into tears and convulse. 
Sister Johnson started forcing me to eat regularly. 
So then I started throwing up frequently, she wasn't happy about that either, so I learned to control it. But that was the only thing I could control.
Other scary things started to happen, one day I was obsessing about death. 
On another, I was so lost, I didn't know what to do, I started banging my head against the wall.
 I frequently had thoughts, wondering what would happen if I hurt myself? What would it feel like? 
SJ and I would be driving somewhere and I'd start to lose it, she'd force me to pull over and we'd switch drivers. But then sitting there with nothing to do would make my panic worse. 
For 3 1/2 weeks, SJ and I tried to deal. I slept a lot. She'd force me out of bed. Tell me what to do one step at a time. "Get dressed Sister Lewis. Can you do that for me?"

Finally one day I was praying and I said "Heavenly Father, I'm not asking you to take this away, just please give me a way to deal with it." Less than ten minutes later I had a breakdown which lead to a monumental conversation with SJ. The end result being that I was ready to tell President Packard I was struggling and to get help.

That seems like a good place to pause the story. There's plenty more, but it's past my bedtime. 
Thanks for hanging in there with me! Feel free to comment and discuss. My hope for this blog is that we can all be open, honest and be uplifted. 
Much love to you all.

11 comments:

  1. You know, it's funny. We'll all talk about our physical issues till the cows come home. In fact, entire testimonies are born in church just about someone's visit to the doctor. But when it comes to our mental health, we aren't as willing to share, even though, like you said, we all have issues. I'm proud of you, Natalie. It takes courage to put it out there. I love you and pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anxiety and depression issues suck!! The end! I have had anxiety attacks, they're awful. I live with a man who suffers massive anxiety and depression on a daily basis. It is just HARD, no other word for it. I'm so sorry you're having to go thru this. But proud if you for talking about it and striving to work thru it, oh, and also, missions are harrrrd, great, but hard. Major stressors. Not surprised that your disorder showed up while you were out there. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are blogging about this. I have a hard time sharing my "mental issues" with people because for the most part they just say "yeah right..." because they only see me a few hours here or there ...(obviously not when I'm at my low... ready to be sent away to the crazy house...) and then when I don't feel like going to church or something people just think I'm in active or they offended me or whatever.. OH well, right? I've learned that it's okay to say "no".. like your Sunday that you had all that going on and you just felt bad that you would miss everything.. yeah sometimes you just have to take care of yourself, and limiting stresses and commitments helps so much. Anyway I'm happy that you are writing about it...I've wanted to blog about my "issues" but man some of it is so dark and worry what others would think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is totally a place where you can be open Kaci! No judgements here!!! Thanks for your amazing example!

      Delete
    2. Kaci thank you for your courage! We who suffer from A&D often have very dark thoughts! Its ok to say no!

      Delete
  4. I am proud of you Natalie. I love how you say "If you want to share something, SHARE! If you just want to read and silently judge me, go for it!" I have learned that some people will judge everyone and their dog but EVERYONE has issues,no matter how "normal" they may seem. Keep up the awesome work sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started to have panic attacks during my last semester of college and I started to lash out very angrily at my parents. It was very scary for me because I literally could not control it. I prayed and prayed for help so I could learn how to control my anger. And now when I feel my anger build up, I turn on some music and just sit & listen. It's surprising how calm it made me! I feel like music saved me from future damage.
    Love you Natalie! You are so brave and I still look up to you NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl it's so good you're getting this figured out before your mish! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a panic attack once, not as bad as yours, but it scared the begeebees out of me! Your experience sounds terrifying. I am glad you are home and taking care of yourself. I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time I'm seeing your blog. I too am very proud of you for blogging so openly about mental health issues. There is still a stigma about mental health. Your words bring a lot of memories and thoughts to me. I still don't like my mental health issues, who could? But after many years I now have a friend that is doing what I've been doing for 20 yrs., talking out loud about them. This is not only helpful to you, but it helps a lot of people learn for themselves or a loved one what mental health problems are like and that THEY ARE REAL! Your father once gave me a blessing and told me,"this trial is not just for you. The majority of this trial will be for people around you. You will help and bless the lives of many people." So I give your father's inspired words to you, because they are true for you as well. I love you and am here anytime. xoxo Mama Liesl

    ReplyDelete