Thursday, March 27, 2014

Animal Tendancies

Tonight at group therapy we read a story that really hit home with me.

A man was looking at an elephant and noticed that there was a rope tied to its front leg. It was obvious that the elephant had the strength to break free of the rope. So the man asked the trainer about it. The trainer explained that when the elephants are babies they're tied with the same rope in the same way and can't break free. So the elephant grows up and is conditioned to think that it doesn't have the capability to break the rope.

The same is true of us. We all grow up with some kind of belief about ourselves, unwittingly allowing it to hold us back while, ALL ALONG, we have the strength and ability to break free!

This month in group we're learning about our core beliefs and learning how they affect the way we operate. Let me tell you...
IT IS DOWNRIGHT 
TERRIFYING AND PAINFUL.
But the sooner I choose to break free of these beliefs, the happier I'll be. I'll be able to avoid the hamster wheel that these beliefs keep me on.

And let's be real, I'm not a hamster or an elephant. 
I'm a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment