Sunday, October 6, 2013

Validation

The last few days have sucked. Don't get me wrong, my life is full of blessings, outwardly I have it made. Inwardly however, I'm a wasteland.

I've endeavoured to keep this blog somewhat religion neutral, in the interest of being relatable to all humans.

Having said that, today for the first time ever, mental illness was addressed in detail at an LDS general conference. And by one of the most candid, straight forward, intense leaders of the church.

I openly wept through the entire talk.

Some things that stood out:
° Elder Holland openly acknowledged the reality of mental illness and the effect it has.
° He validated my struggle by sharing his own.
° He encouraged those who are struggling to use ALL the resources Heavenly Father has given us.
° And best of all, Elder Holland reminded us that there is more to us than our struggles and that healing will come. Even if it's not in this life, we will be made whole.

So even though I feel certifiably crudtastic, I take comfort from the words of a faithful servant of the Lord.

1 comment: